Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hand and Nail Care

I was moisturising my hands on Friday afternoon, and I thought to myself, that's something I haven't blogged about, what products I use on my hands to keep them hydrated. Now that the cooler months are approaching, how heating goes up and our skin starts to get dehydrated, well mine does! Usually we focus on rehydrating our face and body, and often we forget our hands! So i'm going to tell you about three products that I really like at the moment that help my hands and nails to look their best.

I'll start with a cult favourite, L'Occitane She Butter Hand Cream ($12.00). This hand cream is really thick, a true cream like texture. It does absorb quite fast considering how thick it is, and it doesn't leave that yucky obviously feeling that you've got hand cream on. It's a handy size to carry in the handbag, I actually leave a tube in my desk at work. It doesn't have an overpowering scent, so you can apply it subtly. I find it's really useful in the dead of winter when my hands are really dry, I used it religiously the whole of last year and still have heaps left (pictured is a new tube as my backup).

A few months ago I decided I wanted a hand cream that smelt nice, L'Occitane no longer had the mango flower hand cream that I wanted, and the other scents were too 'floral' for me. I knew what I wanted, I wanted a scent that was citrusy! I went to my local Myer to see what they had, they stock MOR, Evodia, Molton Brown etc. A lot of the scents weren't what I was after, or they didn't have testers. I picked up a scent that appealed to me, Evodia Mango & Pink Grapefruit ($17.95), my two favourite fruits! It includes avocado, sweet almond and jojoba oils, both really hydrating! This hand cream is not as thick as the Shea Butter one, it's more of a thick lotion, it absorbs A LOT quicker, and the scent is amazing!! It doesn't provide as much hydration as the shea butter, but at the moment my hands don't need a lot as i'm using this more regularly and therefore my hands are staying more hydrated.

As I have started using Shellac on my nails more often, I realised that I need to keep my cuticles well hydrated as well, so they don't go dry and look horrible. On a trip to Priceline I sussed out my options I didn't want an actual oil, so the Cuticle Rehab by Sally Hansen ($16.95) seemed like a good option. A brush on oil, with Jasmine and Rose extracts along with Vitamin E. It is for really dry cuticles, but I figured if I used it at least one a week it would help my nails more than not using anything. So far it's really lovely, easy to use and my cuticles are in great shape!




What are your must have products for hand and nail care? I'd love to know.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have really dry hands because I paint my nails a lot so I guess the acetone dries them out...I use Burt's Bees cuticle cream and Crabtree & Evelyn handcreams which are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool I might have to try the burts cream. Oh yeah Crabtree and Evelyn were at myer but I didn't like the scents they had.

    ReplyDelete